Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bacon Mac 'n Cheese

Another beautiful sunny 80 degree day in Ventura California!  I've been struggling with this weather and wanting to cook comfort foods since it is after all October and I should be wearing sweatshirts and making stocks for winter soups, but instead I'm running around in flip-flops and shorts and cooking on the grill.  Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the weather here, but I find myself missing the season changes, especially this time of year.  Despite the heat and sun I decided to make Bacon Mac'n Cheese, which I'm pretty sure goes over well ANY time of year...for most people!  I recently made a Mac'n cheese recipe from The Pioneer Woman and it was fabulous!  I tweaked it a bit by adding Smoked Gouda for half of the Cheddar and some Apple Smoked Bacon...there are no words for how good it turned out!

One of the most important tips for successful cooking is to have your mise en place...meaning everything in place.  I always measure everything out and put in bowls so that once I begin I don't get stuck trying to measure out ingredients while something on the stove starts to burn...too late!  I've done this too many times! And, don't get hung up on the thought that you don't want to wash so many dishes...it's just part of cooking and that's what dishwashers are for...all those bowls of ingredients will really save you in the end.


Now that mise en place is in order we can start the cooking.  Roast the Apple Smoked Bacon in a 400 degree oven by lining a sheet pan with a cooling rack and lay bacon slices out on the rack. 
This takes about 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon.  I like my bacon a little on the crispy side, especially in this recipe because it tends to soften a bit while baking in the M&C.  Let bacon cool for five minutes, remove from rack and chop into small pieces. Set aside.



Start a large pot of water add salt and boil macaroni until cooked al dente.  Drain and set aside. 
In a large Dutch Oven or large pot, over med-low heat make a roux by melting butter and sprinkling in the flour.  Cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.  Pour in warmed milk and mustard and whisk until a smooth, thick consistency is formed.  It is a good thickness when it heavily coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 5-8 minutes.
Take about 1/3 cup of the sauce and slowly whisk into the beaten egg, pouring in a slow steady stream.  This is called tempering.  You want to bring the temperature of the eggs up to the temp of the sauce without scrambling the eggs...that's why it's a slow and steady pour with constant whisking.  Once blended, pour egg into the pot with the sauce in it whisking until it's smooth and blended.  Add the cheeses, salt & pepper and stir until melted.  Taste to see if you need to add more salt.  Stir in macaroni and mix until combined, then fold in bacon.  This can be served immediately for a creamy style.  I poured into a buttered casserole dish and topped with cheddar cheese and baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  The longer you cook the more dried out it will become so don't cook too long.

Serve right away, and try not to eat the whole pan...must have discipline!  I would also consider a garlic bread crust baked on top instead of cheese.  If you decide to try it I recommend making garlic bread, cool, cut into pieces and mix in food processor with blade attachment, into a crumble.  Sprinkle on top and bake.  I really wanted to do it this way, but got started too late and didn't get the garlic bread going in time...bummer because I'm sure it would of been sooo fantastic!  If you try it let me know how it turns out!

Recipe

1 lb of dried macaroni  ( I used rigatoni)
1 egg, beaten in a small-medium sized bowl
4 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups of whole milk
2-3 teaspoons of dry mustard ( I used 3 tspns and Colman's brand)
1/2 lb sharp cheddar
1/2 lb smoked gouda ( I used Trader Joe's and I removed the rind because it can burn)
Extra cheddar to top
1/2 teaspoon salt...may need more!
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4lb of bacon ( I used Trader Joe's Apple Smoked, uncured bacon)

Cooking
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Take out sheet pan and place rack in pan.  Lay bacon out across rack, and roast bacon for 20 minutes.  Remove bacon, cool and chop.

Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook macaroni...or pasta of your choice until al dente...slightly firm.  Drain and set aside.
beat egg in bowl.  Warm milk in small pot over low heat.  In large pot over med-low heat melt butter and sprinkle in flour, whisk constantly 2-3 minutes.  Pour in warmed milk and dry mustard, whisk until smooth. This takes about 5-8 minutes. Once thick enough to coat back of a wooden spoon, reduce to low heat.
Take 1/3 cup of the sauce and slowly whisk, constantly into the bowl with beaten egg until well blended.  Pour egg mixture into pot of sauce whisking constantly until smooth.  Add cheeses, salt & pepper, stir until melted.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.  Add bacon and fold in.

Serve immediately for a creamy texture or pour into a buttered casserole dish and top with cheddar cheese and bake until golden on top, about 20 minutes.

2 comments: