Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Banana Bread Pudding by Michael Voltaggio

 Last week I was flipping through the Williams-Sonoma catalog, as I love to do, and came across a recipe for banana bread pudding by Chef Michael Voltaggio (winner of Top Chef, season six).   So I decided I would give it a try!

On a side-note...

 A few weeks ago I volunteered at an event in L.A., Taste Of The Nation - No Kid Hungry, to raise funds for the organization.  I was lucky enough to meet Michael Voltaggio while helping out the chefs in the VIP area of the event. I didn't get to work hands-on as much as I'd hoped when signing up for the gig, but did get to do a little work alongside his new restaurant manager!  I was just happy to be able to hang out with well respected chefs from the L.A. area!  Michael will be opening his restaurant "Ink" sometime this summer in the Los Angeles area.
Here is Michael Voltaggio making Olive Oil ice cream using some dry ice in the mixer! 

Now back to the banana bread pudding! I wanted to serve it warm with ice cream for dessert, so it took some planning and organizing to make because there are several steps in making this!  

I first dried some crustless bread that I cut into 3/4" cubes by toasting in the oven for 15 minutes.


As the bread cooled I roasted the bananas in the skins until blackened and juices were oozing out!


I put the bananas flesh and juices from the pan in a blender and blended to a puree.  That was mixed into a cream, sugar and egg mixture and poured over the dried bread cubes and some hand broken Nilla wafers.  That rested for an hour, with a stir here and there.



Next this mixture was poured in to a 8" square pan and placed in  9x13 water bath, covered and baked for 45 min.  Uncovered and baked at a higher heat for 25 more minutes.



                   I cooled the bread pudding for about 10-15 minutes and served with vanilla ice cream!



Below is a link to the recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment