Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Paella...Culinary Style!

It was about five or six years ago that I purchased a paella pan from William Sonoma.  I also, bought the rice, and some sangria mix, thought I'd have a great "Paella Party"!  Well,  I ended up throwing out the rice and even the sangria mix because they eventually went bad as the idea of that party lingered on my mind here and there, but it never happened.  Every once in awhile I think...this will be the year I try to make the paella!  I still had the pan so, maybe?

Today would end up being the day!  I was at culinary school,  and today's recipe's theme were shellfish!  Each Wednesday at class we have several recipes and the chef will divide our students into three groups and divie up those recipes.  To my surprise my group got the paella recipe...alas I will make paella!


My two co-cooks and I begin the chopping and getting all the ingredients in order.  Mise en place, which basically means everything in place, and it refers to the prepping and organizing of all ingredients.  Yes, it might mean more little bowls to wash, but will end up saving you time and helping you have a smooth   cooking experience.  We began the cooking phase it a little before we had our mise en place and kinda panicked under the high heat, with half the ingredients already cooked and the other half not even prepped..aagh!  Bad communication on our part, but with three of us we quickly pulled the rest of the ingredients together just in time to not screw up the entire paella...which we were cooking two at a time!  All-in-all the recipe took about 1 1/2 hours to complete and it was so worth it because it was amazing!!  We got incredible feedback from the other students, a few even said it was the best paella they'd ever had!   




Thanks to Chef Tim for a great recipe!
Final presentaion!

4 comments:

  1. very beautiful dish Celia ! i definitely need to take some culinary classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm mmm mmm...the paella was the best dish there yesterday ;) Of course I might be biased, but hey..it was pretty darn fabulous!! LOL..great job, Celia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...so impressive Celia! Looks delicious! If you ever need a friend to do some taste testing for you....I am your gal! I am so happy you have started this blog! And I am looking forward to reading about your future creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks terrific Cel! I can't wait to try it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete